Date: Saturday, Oct. 22 2022, 9 a.m-.1 p.m.
Length: Four hours
Cost: $40 for members, $60 for nonmembers
Recommended for: Dogs 6 months and older
- Puppy Elementary (or equivalent) or graduate of Young Dogs Workshop 1 for puppies less than one year. OR instructor permission OR recommendation from another instructor based on puppy’s readiness and prior training. CGC for dogs older than 1 year.
- Dogs should know how to circle a cone or wing and have basic familiarity with tunnels.
- NOTE: No jumps, contacts or weaves will be used at this workshop.
Course Description: This workshop will let young dogs and their handlers explore connection, forward drive and transitions from obstacle to handler focus while working at speed. Training will be done in a fun, motivational games format. It’s based on puppy foundation games developed and promoted by handlers such as Daisy Peel, Anna Hinze, Susan Garrett and Tracy Sklenar.
NOTE: While this course is primarily design as a pre-agility puppy foundation, these games can also help build desire, focus, speed, body awareness and willingness to follow for other sports. They can also build drive, speed and focus for dogs of any age.
Number of participants limited to 6.
Students need to bring:
- Collar and lead
- High value treats cut into very small bits – Such as steak, cheese, liver, etc.
- Your dog’s favorite toys. Ideally one that can throw and/or tugged.
- Food stuffable toy (if your dog is food motivated). An old sock is an option.
- A crate cover and a chewie or other toy/s to help your pup relax when not working.
Good options for motivating toys can be found at: https://www.cleanrun.com/category/dog_toys_and_tugs/dog_tug_toys/index.cfm
- Toy Races – Handler and dog race to a toy. Build a desire to chase and win.
- Dead Toy Game – Dog runs out to a “dead toy”, i.e., one that isn’t moving. Builds confidence and obstacle focus. Foundation to distance sends.
- Ping Pong Plus – Adding more motion to Ping Pong Game
- Turn and Tunnel – Wrap a wing and run a tunnel.
- Smiley Face Game – Add and build turning, speed and transition skills on wings and tunnel.
- Race Track Game – Drive your dog all the way around the “track”.
Note: depending on the group, we may or may not get through all of the activities. I’ll also keep a couple of bonus activities in my back pocket if we move through these too quickly.