Membership offers many benefits including reduced fees for classes and workshops/seminars, access to the building and equipment for training, voting rights at meetings, access to Members section of website and invitation to certain members-only events.
Membership is open to all persons sixteen years of age and older who are in good standing with the American Kennel Club. Must subscribe to the purposes of this Club. Must have attended two Club meetings (one of which may be a social meeting or a club-sponsored seminar or working at a club trial or other performance function).
An applicant must have either:
- completed two classes (or are currently completing the second class) offered by this Club, one of which may be a puppy class
- have previously earned an obedience title through the American Kennel Club or who have earned some other title acceptable to the Board of Directors of the Club.
Types of Membership
As outlined in the Constitution, the Board may provide for other types of membership. Currently, we offer Individual Membership (one person) and Family Membership (Two or more individuals living at the same address). A Junior member (an individual under the age of 16) must have a Family membership in the name of one or both parents or guardian(s). (November 2005)
Election to Membership
- Each applicant for membership shall apply on a form as approved by the Board of Directors and which shall provide that the applicant agrees to abide by the Club Constitution and By-Laws and the rules of the American Kennel Club.
- All applications are to be filed with the Secretary or designee (Membership Chair) and the name of each applicant shall be published on the club’s website.
- At the club meeting following the publication of the name of an applicant on the website, provided the eligibility requirements have been met, the application shall be voted on. Votes of 3/4 of the members present and voting at that meeting shall be required to elect the applicant.
- Applicants for membership who have been rejected by the Club may not reapply within six months after such rejection.
Membership dues are paid annually by January 1. Dues are payable when the applicant is accepted for new membership. Check or Money Order made out to DTCCU, please no cash.
- $45 Individual
- $60 Family
- Applicants elected January 1st through June 30th shall pay dues for the full year.
- Applicants elected July 1st through October 31st shall pay dues for half the year.
- Applicants elected November 1st through December 31st shall pay full dues for the following year.
Each member will be required to clean one area of the building up to twice per year, as assigned by the cleaning chairperson. Family memberships are responsible for cleaning two areas.
- Members are responsible for cleaning their portion of the building or making alternative arrangements. Alternative arrangements include changing weekends with another member through mutual agreement or hiring a member who has volunteered to clean for others. The responsibility for making the alternate arrangement resides with the assigned member.
- Members who do not make suitable arrangements will be assessed a $30 fine and may lose their membership privilege if they do not pay the fine.
- No one under the age of 16 will be assigned to clean.
- Membership renewals are due by January 31 each year.
- Per the Constitution, a membership may be considered as lapsed and automatically terminated if such member’s dues remain unpaid 60 days after the due date. After this period, membership shall be reinstated upon his or her written request for reinstatement to the Secretary and upon payment of the current year’s dues. (February 2007)